The Venetian Restaurant
909 Broad Street
East Weymouth, MA 02189
781 337 4363

mail@venetianrestaurant.com

Follow SeamusDesign on Twitter 

 

Menus Gift Cards Reviews About Directions

Alphanso Pecoraro started The Venetian Restaurant in the 1920's on Cape Cod, in the town of Yarmouth. As a small restaurant serving dinner without a liquor license, Alphanso's brother Gaeton (Tiny) Pecararo took over The Venetian in 1929. He moved the restaurant off Cape Cod to North Weymouth.

In 1932, Tiny moved The Venetian again to 819 Broad Street, Jackson Square, East Weymouth. With its growing reputation as a family restaurant, Tiny decided to move The Venetian down the road to 905 Broad Street, an area known as Commercial Square (now known as Lower Jackson Square.

With one of the first beer and wine licenses in Weymouth, Tiny took on his brother James (Babe) Pecararo as a business partner. In addition, their two nephews John and Jim Pica joined The Venetian staff.

As the war ended, The Venetian was able to get a full liquor license. The nephews' interest in the restaurant grew and Jim became head cook while John began managing the business for Tiny.

In 1940, The Venetian moved one last time. Its current location—next door at 909 Broad Street—was once a harness shop. Each move allowed the restaurant to grow its seating capacity and better seve its increasing numbers of customers.

Jim married Kay Kendall in 1939 and had two sons Jim and Bill. In 1947, John married Mary Cavallo, a waitress at the time, They had three children, John Jr., Ann Marie, and Greg. In 1950 John bought the Venetian from Tiny. Over the next few years, under new ownership, the restaurant became well-known for its family atmosphere and its traditional Italian dinners.

A fire completely destroyed the restaurant in 1958. When it was rebuilt the kitchen and dining area were expanded, and a banquet hall was added upstairs. At this time, John's wife Mary returned to work and became head waitress. As John and Jim's four sons grew, they also joined The Venetian staff. While Jim's sons, Jim and Bill, later moved on to other interests, John's sons continued to work at the restaurant. John Jr. began to manage the restaurant with his father and Greg became a cook.

As The Venetian continued to thrive, John decided to have the business incorporated. The share holders were himself, Mary, and John Jr., and was called the M&J Corporation. Buy this time John Jr. married Diane Lamparelli and had three children, Tina, Tiffany, and John III.

John Sr. passed on in 1990 and John Jr. continues to run the business with the help of his son John III.

Alphonso Pecoraro, 1920's

 

905 Broad Street, 1930's

 

Jackson Square, 1940's

 

John Pica Sr., 1950's